TR6 blocks and heads (longish)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 blocks and heads (longish)
From: Michael Graham <mgraham@achilles.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 19:04:15 -0400
I am preparing to rebuild a TR6 engine and have a few questions.

I have access to 4 blocks all with the same casting number (308759), but
with serial numbers CT59848E, CF40973UE, CC78018UE, and CF3970UE

 From what I can understand from various sources, the U (in the
registration number of the car at least) designates a car built in model
year 1972 or later.

TRF catalogue suggests 3 different blocks: up to commission no. CC50000;
CC50000 to CF12500; and CF12501 and later. Other sources indicate there are
only two blocks (CC1 to CC75000; and CC750001 and up). My question: are
there physical differences in the blocks? If so, how do I tell them apart?
If the casting number is the same are the blocks the same (seems to make
sense).

Also have at least 3 heads (casting number 313248, serial 218227; casting
313247, serial 219019; and casting 312388, serial 218227). Here I have two
different casting numbers with the same serial numbers (stamped as opposed
to cast number), and two casting numbers one digit apart that are very
different serial numbers. Again it seems as though there should be 3
different heads: up to engine number CC75000 (8.5 compression); engine
CC75001 to CF12500 (7.75 compression); and all engines after CF12501 (7.5
compression with EGR valve). How can I tell from the numbers or from
physical examination which head belongs to which series? Is there an
on-line database of various components  and changes from year to year?

All help much appreciated.

Cheers, Mike Graham
73 TR6 (CF727U)

Michael Graham: mgraham@achilles.net