RE: Wheel Bearing Adjustment

To: List Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wheel Bearing Adjustment
From: Mark Macy <ohioaviation@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 05:26:15 -0700 (PDT)
Warren Allen wrote:
2. Front wheel bearing adjustment:  I turn the
castellated nut on the front wheel hub until it binds,
then back it off until it's free.  If I back it
off until it's completely free, there is (it seems to
me) excessive play. But when I tighten it up one more
flat, It's not completely free.  In other words, if I
give the wheel a spin, it doesn't go as long before
stopping. So my choices seem to be slight binding or
excessive play.  I've chosen excessive play, but I'm
still not happy.  Any ideas?

Warren:
My grandfather was a mechanic from the early 20's on,
and he showed me many years ago that if you tighten
the wheel bearing nut too tightly, you won't be able
to move the washer with a screwdriver.  Loosen the nut
just enough that you can just slide the big washer
ever so slightly with a screwdriver inserted in the
space between the hub and the edge of the washer.
You'll find that this is not tight enough to burn up
the bearing, and it won't feel loose either.  It's
worked for me for nearly 30 years now, and I've never
had a wheel bearing problem on my Street Rods, Daily
Drivers, and LBC's.  Mark Macy.