RE: Maintnenance interval counter/speedo

To: "johnek@hotmail.com" <johnek@hotmail.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE: Maintnenance interval counter/speedo
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 09:43:19 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:triumphs-owner@autox.team.net
>Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2000 17:56:17 EDT
>From: "john Kossup" <johnek@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Maintainence Interval Counter
>

>Fellow Listers:
>I have a 1975 TR6 which has spent all its life in Canada.  The DPO has at
>some point removed the Maintanence Interval Counter and run a speedo cable

>direct from the speedometer to the transmission.  I continue to get
erratic
>speedometer readings.  It will not read at all below 20 miles per hour
then
>jumps up to an irrational reading of roughly 60 mph (100 kmh here in
>Canada?) I'm wondering if this has to do with not being broken down into
the
>two segments as it normally would with the M.I.C. or is the right angle
>drive suspect?  Does anyone know a source for a MIC as mine is
non-existent.
>  Any input is appreciated :)
>
>John Kossup

John,  as a rule, I do not like absolute statements, but I will make one
here.  Your funky
speedo is NOT due  to the ABSENCE of the MIC.  A properly functioning
speedo cable
turns smoothly at all speeds.

Your problem is that something is binding somewhere.

1)  It could be the angle drive.  Mine had lube that was like gum.
2)  It could be a binding speedo cable.
3)  It could be that the length of the stub sticking out of the cable at
the speedo end is too
     long and it is causing the input shaft of the speedo to bind.
4)  It could be binding of the speedo inpout shaft within its housing.
5)  It could be binding of the so called "drag cup"

Take a look at my speedo repair (and testing) manual at
http:\\ourworld.compuserve.com\homepages\arhodes

When you have further questions, lemme know!  The more problems I see, the
better my advice
gets!

-Tony