Rear Spring Removal - Part II

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Spring Removal - Part II
From: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 21:06:29 -0500
I think I need to clarify something. The reason I'm trying to remove the
rear springs on my '3 to replace the bushes is NOT shipwright's! Honest! As
some of you who have followed me on the highway know, whenever I hit a bump,
the car wants to go sideways as though every suspension part I have is bad!

Here's what I've done so far...

1) Tightened all body to frame mounting bolts
2) Replaced the 8 REAR bushes in leaf springs (rubber, not poly)
3) Tested front coil springs to make sure they were ok
4) Rebuilt front end and steering box - new tie rod ends, new
stainless/bronze silentblocs, new bushes, thrust washers, trunnions (reused
old ball joints), new Spax adjustables, checked and re-used old idler arm.

I just KNEW my problem was in the front end! Well, it IS better now, but
still have side to side motion to a (slightly) lesser degree. I thought
perhaps that, if the silentblocs in the rear springs were worn, that would
contribute to the side to side, but now it appears that, short of cutting,
grinding, torching, maybe even lifting the body off the frame so I can
remove the spring without removing the pin, I'll have to live with the
problem - IF THE SPRING IS THE PROBLEM! Frankly, I'm not convinced it will
do any good anyway and, at this point, will probably reinstall the parts I
have been able to remove. Anybody want to buy 2 brand new Rimmer silentbloc
bushes?  :^)

The only other thing I can think of is my wheels. I have a set of 48 spoke
wires that the PO installed on the old hub extensions. You know the
drill...now the wheels are worn to match the old hubs. I just bought new 60
spoke wires, but haven't put them on yet. Is it possible that this has been
my problem all along? The old wheels feel tight when I tighten the
knock-offs, but there is quite a bit of slop when I first slide them on the
hubs...way more than I think there should be.

Am I wasting my time (and yours!) with this spring thing? If I can, I'm
going to get my tires mounted and balanced tomorrow and see what happens. If
THAT doesn't do it, I really don't know what else to try. Someone mentioned
the possibility of a bent or otherwise damaged frame as the reason someone
welded the spring pin to the frame, but I see no sign of that.

I really am at a loss, so keep them cards 'n letters comin' folks! No idea
is too far out to be considered!! Thanks again.

Michael Ferguson