1970 TR6 Ignition Switch

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 1970 TR6 Ignition Switch
From: SRKSMITH@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 23:36:29 EDT
The ignition switch in my 1970 TR6 has gone belly up; the internal spring no
longer returns the key to "run" after starting.  The switch has 7 male
connectors on the rear and one rather strange spade connector on the right
side. The rear connectors on the back are arranged:

1. Brown/White (heavy wire) 5. White/Red (heavy wire
2. Brown/White (heavy wire) 6. Black
3. Double White         7. Empty
4. Single White

The wire to the side of the switch housing is Black/Green

The switch for the 1970 is NLA so I can bought the switch housing for a later
car (TRF 216446 / Moss 667840) but it has only five male connectors.  So,  on
advice bought a plug (electrical portion of the ignition switch assembly) for
a later car (TRF LU39911) to replace the electrical portion of the switch
assembly with the new plug, which I was told had 8 wires.  Being the original
switch had 8 wires I went for it.   Upon arrival I noted LU39911had 8
soldered connections on the rear with 8 wires running into a harness that
ends in no less than 16 wires running into 15 wire terminals (5 female spade
connectors and two lucor connectors).

Here's the dilemma - there is only one large brown wire coming off the
LU39911 unit, somewhere in the harness it splits into 2 wires but I'm afraid
combining the two existing wires into one could create (heat/melting/fire)
problems.  Has anyone ever faced and solved this before or does anyone have a
proper 1970 switch for sale?

I'm thinking of changing to the dash mounted switch of 1969 but don't know
how many connectors that year's switch had.

Thanks for your help!
Steve