Re: Running on battery only

To: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.uofs.edu>, emanteno@attglobal.net
Subject: Re: Running on battery only
From: Don Marshall <marshall@nefcom.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 10:03:28 -0400
Cc: bschwart@pacbell.net (Barry Schwartz), spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
At 09:24 AM 4/5/00 -0400, Bill Gunshannon wrote:

>4 hours!!  I drove mine for almost two weeks and 300 miles before the
>battery ran down enough to not turn the starter.  Of course, at this
>point I was 70 miles from home.  No problem.  I pushed the car about
>10 feet, the wife popped the clutch in reverse, the car started.  We
>then drove it the 70 miles to get home.  A lot to be said for cars
>with mechanical fuel pumps (and mechanical everything else for that
>matter.  I would think in an emergency I could push start the car and
>drive it in daylight using only a pair of lantern batteries.

Reminds me of a trip to Sebring for a VTR regional some years ago..  one of
our group had generator trouble and, since we had started late from
Jacksonville, we had to complete the last couple hours of the trip in the
dark.  We were worried about the drain on his battery from headlights,
etc., so he drove with no lights at all.  We boxed him in between us so the
authorities along the way wouldn't notice him, and had no problems.  It was
odd looking in the rear view mirror and seeing only the dark outline of a
TR3 close behind.  After that it was known as the "stealth Triumph".

Don Marshall