RE: TR6 Voltage Guage guts

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Voltage Guage guts
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 14:10:14 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Rob :

Unfortunately, I doubt the windings from the other gauges will work, as they
work on a lower total voltage, meaning they probably also have a lower
resistance.  Your best bet might be to disassemble the gauge again, find the
break in the wire, and repair it.  (Typically, the alloy used in resistance
wire cannot be soldered with common solder, so you'll have to make a crimp
joint.)

The wire used will be some sort of high resistance alloy, such as Nichrome,
but I have no idea what alloy or size you need.  One approach would be to
unravel a length of the current wire, and measure it's resistance at room
temperature.  (Note that you can't use an ohmmeter for this measurement, you
need to either get a milli-ohm meter, or measure current and voltage then
use R = E/I to compute resistance.)

I found Scientific Instrument Services on the web, they sell small
quantities of resistance wire at a somewhat reasonable price (well, at least
compared to having to buy a 100' spool !).  See
http://www.sisweb.com/ms/sis/wire3.htm and http://www.sisweb.com/ .

Didn't I see a TR6 voltmeter on eBay recently ?

You could also try contacting :

Nisonger Gauge Repair
Bob Castagnetta, Proprietor
570 Mamaroneck Ave.
Mamaroneck, NY 10543
(914) 381-1952

(info taken from the Monster List.  Note that, per the ML, this is not
Nisonger Corp, who no longer does gauge repair.)

NFI, etc.

Randall