Whither the future of Rover? (An opinion from the inside, long - no Triu

To: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Whither the future of Rover? (An opinion from the inside, long - no Triumph)
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 19:44:40 -0500
Cc: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "John Macartney"
>Second, I've been able to drive all of the current Rover product range
over some
>meaningful distances (for the UK) and IMHO they are are as good as any
other >comparable car produced anywhere. The build quality is outstanding,
the finish is >superb performance is by no means lacking and its an
all-round excellent means of >transport. If I needed a new car and more
importantly could afford one, a current >Rover 25, 45 or even a 75 would
demand my absolute attention and definitely be a >possible buy.

It's good to hear about these cars.  To me and most of us Americans a Rover
is just another car that is not imported to the US.  The wife and I spent a
week or so in Britian last may and after visiting Gaydon I couldn't help
but notice the Rover's passing me on the motorway at a high rate of speed.
They sure go!

>Okay, so the development costs for those cars was funded by BMW and even
though >I'm not an accountant it seems that German accounting practices are
radically >different from UK ones and the costs for all these cars are
alleged to have been >dumped into the *big loss pot.* Bringing the Rover 75
to market cost GBP 1 billion >alone and half that amount is a typical spend
for virtually any mass-produced car >today.  This means that a far blacker
picture has probably been painted of Rover's >financial situation. The loss
is not just because of limited sales - there's wads of >money being thrown
into the scenario that allegedly shouldn't be there and this is >sending
out entirely the wrong signals to the world as a whole.
>The bottom line is that by throwing in the towel at this stage, BMW is
stifling the truth
>on all the work that has taken place at Rover during the period of German
control. In >the not too distant future, it's highly likely that at least
two new cars will appear on the
>market wearing a BMW badge when in truth, they ought to have been Rovers
and in >their conception ARE Rovers - namely, new Mini and R30 in original
or abridged form.

A high stakes, corporate shell game.  I never thought of this angle but
this could prove to be some rather cleaver scapegoating.  And the blame
will be placed on That Rover Debacle.  One question:  Can two companies
market two different cars under the same name (Mini)?

Dave