OOPs: stripped & dipped TR3...

To: "'TR-List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: OOPs: stripped & dipped TR3...
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@chekhov.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 23:07:04 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Oops...  URL:
www.arts.usf.edu/~musson/triumph/TS81802/AfterDip/AfterDip.htm

-----Original Message-----
From:   Musson, Carl [mailto:musson@chekhov.arts.usf.edu]
Sent:   Wednesday, March 29, 2000 10:59 PM
To:     'TR-List'
Subject:        stripped & dipped TR3...

If you are interested, I have put up some pix of my TR3 taken at
Revivations/Restoration Depot in Wauchula, FL after it has been dipped.
Somehow I missed the doors & the bonnet although I know they are there..
Click on each for a larger view...
No real surprises.   The drivers side floor pan will be replaced as will the
Battery Box.
Couple interesting holes on top of the differential hump which will be
brazed shut.  The last four pictures are the "problem" areas.  LF Fender
with some prior damage and poor repair techniques. (inside & outside shots)
Damage as Left Rear Overrider pushed into Rear Valance
LF Fender Lower Rear Section will be replaced.  Too many holes and extremely
thin sheet metal.  (This was the biggest surprise).
Sills are solid; as are all other underside areas.   There will be a little
brazing to do on the Right lower dogleg and bottom rear corner of Right
Front Fender-but nothing that will require major surgery.
After the welding is done, it will be dipped again and then ready for
primer....  This weekend I build an enclosed storage area in the garage with
a dehumidifier. I'll bring out the pieces I will be working on as needed and
the rest will stay in as controlled environment as I can make it.  (My wife
bought me a "CarCoon" for Christmas)...   The car should be coming home in
about 10 days.
I have finally decided against trying to have the whole thing powder coated
even though the offer from a local coater was very tempting.  He just
couldn't guarantee that the sheet metal wouldn't warp during the curing
process.
I have some before pictures that I'll get up on the web at a later date.

Carl
Do you need a TR3 Windshield setup...  See:
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRauction.cgi?TR3&954735307
<http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRauction.cgi?TR3&954735307>