Sealing leaky gaskets & seams on tranny's, diff's, etc.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Sealing leaky gaskets & seams on tranny's, diff's, etc.
From: Day.John@fin.gc.ca
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:28:42 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
The other day I obtained a copy of auto accessories from Frost Auto
Restoration Techniques, Rochdale, Lancashire. One interesting little item
was their 'Oyltite Stik', which is used to "stop leaks at gasket flanges,
joints, rivet holes, etc. without the need to rebuild". They show it being
used on, coincidentally, an overdrive unit, which has more potentially leaky
seams for its size than nearly anything. The directions say to "simply rub
the Oyltite Stik vigorously into the leak area until forced into cracks and
it will dry to prevent petrol, oil and water leaks. Can also be used as a
thread sealer on assembly work".

The cost of this tube is 8.50 UKP. I was wondering (1) if anyone knows if it
is sold on this side o' the pond, and (2) if there is any other similar
product. I for one would dearly love to cure my leaky overdrive without
disassembly/reassembly. Any other ideas (loctite?) for applying to leaky
seams?

Cheers, JD
(No Listers, Vendors, or others were harmed in the production of this
thread) :-)