RE: TR3 - Cracked Head

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 - Cracked Head
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 18:22:06 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Adrian :

Yes, I'm afraid the practical approach is to get another head.  There's one
on eBay at the moment
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290547341 .  Watch
out for shipping, those things are heavy.

Although it is theoretically possible to weld the crack and put in valve
seat inserts, the fix rarely lasts for very long.

There were several different head castings used throughout the TR2-4A range,
but the only major change point was around TS13000E (don't have the exact
number handy) in 1956.  All the heads after that point will interchange as
complete assemblies.  Some time in TR4 production, the diameter of the
exhaust valve stems changed, and I believe the TR4A head had lower
compression and smaller inlet runners.  But, they will all bolt up to any
TR2-4A block, and to all manifolds after the change point.

Randall
59 TR3A