Re: Strange indicator behavior

To: Scott Kohl <sdkgt6@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Strange indicator behavior
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 17:21:18 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Scott Kohl wrote:

> Okay, you electrical/saloon gurus, try this one.  My left indicator/repeater
> operates normally.  But when I operate the right indicator, *both* repeater
> lamps flash.  Any suggestions?

That's the symptoms of a bad ground somewhere in your tail lights- suggest
you take the right one aout and clean and tighten ALL wire connections,
paying close attention to the ground points!  Make them clean, and apply
dielectric grease if you can.

For instance, my TR4 tail lights are grounded through the pot metal of the
chrome lamp housing.  But the bolts that hold the pot metal onto the car
body had lots of corrosion around them.  I took one out and cleaned it so
that it made good electrical contact on both sides, and my signals worked
much better.  Probably will get even brighter when I get-around-to
cleaning the bulb sockets.

BTW, do both lamps flash weakly, or are they both bright?  Dim flashing is
a sure sign of bad ground.  All bright, got me stumped.

Apologies for bad grammer and or spelling, I'm on a very, very slow link
right now and I can't see what I type until a few seconds after the Deed
Is Done.  Such is life in the Old Way...

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm