Re: Oil Breathers and what do do with it.

To: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Oil Breathers and what do do with it.
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:14:41 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Kevin,
The 69 is a (semi) open breathing system.  Sometime late in
the Mk1 (or perhaps during the Mk2) production The blow-by
pipe port was closed up (on the right side of the engine
below the manifolds and toward the rear).  This allows the
pressure to build up and need to be vented by the tube that
was installed on the valve cover.  On most engines it was
put into the carbs and later in that strange valve that is
on the intake manifold.

If you want to really open it up, you can read the treatise
I wrote on the subject.  It can be found on Tom Shirley's
Tips archive site, "The Spitfire Garage".

Regards,
Joe Curry