Re: TR4A Re-painting

To: "Evans, Mark" <Mark.Evans@Anheuser-Busch.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4A Re-painting
From: Jerry Oliver <slantws@home.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 07:40:36 -0800
Mark and the List; I have two 66 TR4A that have black out paint behind
the grille. Both are BRG. When I restored CTC66836L, the front had been
resprayed, but I did notice black paint in the grille area under the new
paint. However, it wasn't until I purchased CTC70200L, an unrestored and
unaltered car from its original owner that I confirmed the black paint
behind the grille. Several members on the list have corresponded with me
when I posed this question a while back regarding the TR250 I'm
restoring (CD6216L) under the title of "grille blackout", and it appears
that the method was to brush on dull or semi gloss paint. This was also
used on TR250s. My personal opinion is that factory records provide some
insight into theses matters, but observation of known unrestored cars,
or experiences by those who were alive when the cars when the cars were
new are essential. For example, regarding the recent discussion of red
versus amber taillights on the TR250, I can confirm that I physically
observed the amber taillight in new cars on the showroom floor in 1968.
Further, that I installed those same amber tail lights in my 66 TR4A
that I owned at that time. The fact that some TR250s don't have amber
tail lights, or some TR4As don't have black paint behind the grille is
just one of those wonderful mysteries of life. Jerry Oliver, Olympia,
Wa.