gas in the oil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: gas in the oil
From: DShoop7572@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 18:52:44 EST
    Thanks for the responses to the oil filter question. At the end of last
year I was battling flooding Strombergs. I had one episode where the fuel was
actually gushing out one  carb air cleaner. After taking the carb off and
cleaning but not rebuilding it the situation seemed to diminish. Today when I
drained the oil, the gas in the oil that I had suspected was much worse than
I expected. I had about 7 quarts of oil/gas mix when I drained it. I had shut
the car down for the season when I first noticed a rise in the oil level and
a gas smell. Could the gas get into the oil from this flooding problem? Is
there something else that could have caused this? The car was running and
starting OK when this happened.
    I took the fuel pump off wondering if the gasket to the block was a
possible problem. I ordered a new one, couldn't tell about the old one
 it ripped when I took off the pump.

                                Thanks, Dave