RE: Machine Shop work.

To: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE: Machine Shop work.
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 18:56:21 -0500
Message text written by David Massey
>  I always thought that if there were two slots on opposite sides one could
>rotate the shaft 180 degrees and get double duty out of it.  All one would
>have to do is pull the tail section off, back out the screw and keeper, rotate
>shaft and reassemble.<

No second slot on any of the 3 I have.  (2 old ones, one new replacement)

The cost of a new shaft is not that great.  It is feasible to exchange it with
a new one
rather than reuse the old one.  THe expense is not great compared to the effore
to get it out.

The bearings will be left in place, and who knows their condition?  I suppose
that if the
layshaft surface is in good shape, then the bearings can be retained.

Your suggestion is pretty good, just moderately inconvenient.  Probably a good
service interval.  Replace the clutch disk, throw out bearing and layshaft at
50,000
miles.  Total rebuild at 100,000 miles.......  Maybe.  You need to have the
2-piece
steel "Brian Schlorff special" top hat bush installed, though, to keep the
mainshaft in
spec.

-Tony