Re: Chroming roll bars - where?

To: "Mitchell, Douglas (D.B.)" <dmitchel@ford.com>, "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chroming roll bars - where?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 07:37:03 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Doug,

Another lister contacted me off-list to provide a good local source for
chroming here in San Diego.  Thanks for your concern, but I won't be driving
my car in any competition events to begin with (it's a STREET rollbar
anyway) and I won't be padding the bar since the torque generated from my
Spitfire isn't nearly enough to snap my head back under full acceleration.
I'm a pretty conservative driver and I'm not looking to put the rollbar to
the test...  I just think that the additional chrome sets off all the other
chrome parts on the car wonderfully.

How does the chroming process "weaken" the metal or welds?  I don't
understand how it could, but of course that would be a concern if it is
true.

The only other reason that I'm having second thoughts is because I'll have
to have the rollbar sandblasted first to remove the paint -- another expense
involved with the process.  Oh well, I can get an estimate, at least.

Best wishes,

Jeff