handy tool to put in door pulls and window handles (TR6)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: handy tool to put in door pulls and window handles (TR6)
From: Crazeecooter@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 19:07:08 EST
This past weekend my uncle and I finally got to the point where we were putting
the door panels on the TR6 restoration project (there is a light at the end of
the tunnel)

I was dreading this part because I have had the door panels off before
(pre-restoration) and remembered that it was REALLY hard to put the door pulls
and window handles back on because of that pesky spring.  It took me a good
hour to struggle with pushing down on the spring and trying to get that pin to
drop in the hole.

I don't know if any of you have already figured out a way to do this...but my
uncle devised a way to do it in about 2 minutes. (per handle that is).  Since
this list has helped me very much in the past, I thought I would share this
trick with whoever is interested.  This is what he did---

He got a pan washer that was the roughly the diameter of the round base of the
handle.  He then cut off a section of the washer so it looked like this:

       -       -
      --       --
      ---     ---
       ---------
         ------

He then sandwiched the modified washer in between the handle and the black base
plate (then followed by the spring) so that the missing section lined up with
where the hole where the pin is suppossed to go on the stud coming out of the
door.  He also had put a tiny bit of adhesive at the end of the pin and lightly
placed it on the corresponding hole on the handle (which was now visible and
lined up with the missing portion of the modified washer)

He then placed the handle/washer/black plate/spring on the door and pushed
down...while I stood by with a smaller poker and just popped the pin into
place.  We then removed the washer and viola!

I don't know if the above is clear at all...if not and you a better
explanation...feel free to email.

Also...out of curiosity...how were people doing this before?

Jonathan.