Re: TRF Etc.. (long)

To: <trhouse@greenapple.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TRF Etc.. (long)
From: Michael Thompson <miket@urgrgcc.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:26:31 -0500
Hi T.R.
We met at the meet. I had the white 3A with a tan interior from Gallipolis,
Oh. Some background - I had not been to a "Triumph only" meet before. I had
a Mini and had gone to a Mini Meet. Those people drive the tires off those
little cars. I have been driving TR3's for about 15 years. Ten of which, the
3 was my only car. That was the 80's. I am glad the TRA is around. I was
surprised at the amount of show "only cars" there were. I have always looked
at my car as a sports car that was meant to be driven hard. At the Mini Meet
we talked about how to build faster and better. And at the TRA's meet we
talked more about what color things should be painted. Don't get me wrong,
we do need the preservationists. But I was just surprised not as many people
seemed to have the same hard driving spirit. (I also frequent vintage car
races) I guess I was expecting more driving events like a funkana, autocross
and drag race. Another observation - I am "only" 35 years old and the group
at the TRA seemed fairly old. The same thing has happened to our local old
car club. We formed in 1978. I was a founding member at only 15 years of age
and at 35 I still am the youngest member. There have been no younger members
to replace the aging membership. They have either died, can not get down on
the ground to judge the underside, or can not stay out in the sun very long.
I was president of the club a few years back and tried to get them to hold a
few driving events like a poker run. They were not interested. I could not
get then to drive over 20 miles in a caravan to another show, like we did in
the 80's. I just hate to see my british car buddies go the same route. You
will have to actively cultivate new and younger members that can drive the
cars and have fun with them. An 18 - 20 something year old person does not
want to sit in the shade and just look at his car. For example, at the TRA,
me and my wife were the only adults to participate in any of the games, like
the "putting up the top in the rain race." This is the lack of enthusiasm I
am talking about. If I lived closer to Columbus I would be a very active
member. I'm not trying to knock your friends but I know where this road
goes.

Mike Thompson