RE: Wheel cylinder to backing plate lube question.

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wheel cylinder to backing plate lube question.
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 11:16:16 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Drew :

I believe the correct name is COPASLIP, which is a brand name for a
copper-based anti-seize compound made by Molyslip Atlantic, Ltd. in the UK.
See http://www.molyslip.co.uk/ for more info.  Doesn't seem to be sold in
the US.

I use a similar product, called On-n-Off made by Fel-Pro, but I don't
believe they still market it under that name.  If you can find it, Fel-Pro's
C5-A Industrial anti-seize is the same thing.  I think the same thing is
available from Grainger under the Loctite name.  Stock # 4KM71, $6.45/each,
4 oz brush top can, Loctite C5-A Copper-based anti-seize,
http://www.grainger.com . (I'm not sure of the history, but it appears that
Loctite bought out all of Fel-Pro's chemical products.  The Fel-Pro name is
now owned by Federal Mogul, Loctite is now selling Fel-Pro and Permatex
products.)

Both of these are not really lubricants, but instead keep the aluminum brake
cylinder from corroding due to contact with the steel backing plate.

Any of the 'dry moly' type lubricants would probably also work well.  I've
got a can from CRC, but haven't tried it on brakes yet.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver (except when it's raining <g>)