Re: Lead Substitutes

To: Jeff McNeal <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Re: Lead Substitutes
From: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 09:40:54 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Paul Brandsema <lbc61tr4@usa.net>, Triumph Email List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at mail.virginia.edu

This tread keeps on truckin'!  When I got my first TR, many years ago, the
Triumph-sponsored race team, Group 44, headed by Bob Tullius, was in my
neighborhood, and I became well acquainted with him.  His recommendation
at that time, and he never changed, was, "Always use AMOCO unleaded.  It
avoids the lead buildup on your valves."  AMOCO was always a bit more
expensive, because they had to carefully refine their gas, while
cheapsters like ESSO/EXXON used additives like lead.  It's called "Hide a
lousy product with a fresh coat of paint."  Since Bob's advice, I have
always used the unleaded.  I have never had valves "pocket," the prime
asserted problem, no valves burning, etc.  The heads of cars that I have
pulled, that have consistantly been run on leaded gas, have huge deposits
of lead in the combustion chambers, on the valves, and everywhere.  I have
seen SU and Stromburg carbs gummed up with all the additives, etc.

The problem of "pocketing" of valves on the British cars lies with the old
style chickenwire+oil aircleaners.   They would keep out any particulate
matter larger than a Junebug.  The owner's manual says, "Every 5,000
miles, rinse filter with clean gasoline, and spray used motor oil on
the mesh." Real "HiTech."

Use a decent set of paper element aircleaners, and you will have no
problems.  All the other crap in re. special gas additives, putting in
Stellite valve seats and any other "fix" is just to sell you something.

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Jeff McNeal wrote:

> Paul,
>
> The PO had new OEM valves installed on my Spitfire that he purchased from
> British Leyland many years ago.  In other words, they're made for leaded
> fuel only.  He only put about 3k on them before selling the car to me
> recently, and he uses the cheap, off the shelf lead substitute stuff.  The
> car runs beautifully.
>
> I haven't put any gas in yet, but I will be soon, and I'll be going the STP
> (or other off the shelf) route.
>
> What I want to know is, after running lead substitute for 20k or so, will
> the valves and seats have enough build up on them to start using unleaded
> without any ill effects like so many others have reported with cars that
> originally ran on premium leaded, but then moved over to the unleaded
> petrol?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeff

James A. Ruffner