'72 TR6 wiring question

To: TRlist <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: '72 TR6 wiring question
From: "Riggs, R Kevin" <rkriggs@ugsolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 09:10:01 -0800
Hi, Kevin Riggs back on the list again after about a 5 year hiatus.

My TR6 is driveable again, but I have mounds of wiring woes.  Can anyone
recommend a good book on tracing and correcting wiring problems?  I don't
know how to do it.  Anyone with experience want to comment on the pros &
cons of buying a new harness from TRF vs trying to patch what I have?   The
existing harness is not fried, but it has one charred section beneath the
dash and it's been patched in a couple of places.  A more savvy friend once
shook his head at the thought of trying to fit a new harness as being as
more trouble than fixing what you have.

My current main concerns are the horn not working, the temp and fuel gauges
not working (forget what the under-dash voltage regulator is called, but I
have one I havn't installed yet), and the headlights blowing a fuse very
often.  The original headlight switch is not being used right now.  DPO
installed a push/pull generic switch in the dash.  This fused itself on
once, and I replaced it with another generic switch purchased from local
parts store.  This switch has it's own fuse (forget now if it's 20 or 30
amp), and it's this fuse that blows.  I have no idea if the current wiring
is going through the fuse block as well.

When I was driving the car regularly 7 years ago the fuse tended to blow in
wet weather, and if I was lucky I'd smell it just before it went and just
turn off the lights till I got home.  So I wonder if humitidy (or, for all I
know, it may actually be getting wet under there) is shorting the switch
itself, or if the short is somewhere else.  How would I track something like
that down?

At any rate, my primary goal is to fix the short so I can count on the
headlights being there and the smoke staying in the wires.  My next goal
would be to re-route the wiring and switching to its correct location in the
steering column.  Anyone with experience here?  How many TR6 owners still
have workable headlight switches on the column, and how many have wanker
solutions like mine?

Thanks.  Would love to hear from any old-timers still here from 5-10 years
ago.

R. Kevin Riggs
rkriggs@ugsolutions.com
Huntsville, AL.