More Brake questions

To: "Bob Danielson" <rdaniels@snet.net>
Subject: More Brake questions
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 19:55:19 -0500
Cc: "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Bob Danielson"
>I thought it was just a handbrake problem - right side would lock but
driver
side rear wheel wouldn't lock. This morning I had the wife, step on the
brake pedal and the driver side doesn't lock up no matter how tight I
adjust
them. The piston moves out and activates one shoe but nothing happens on
the
other shoe. I checked the right side and noticed that the whole
piston/cylinder assembly unit slides back and forth which in turn moves the
other shoe out against the drum........... I think. On the driver side this
assembly is almost frozen. I've got it freed up and am wondering if I
should
use brake lube on it. Also, does any of this make sense?
Thanks
Bob Danielson
<

Bob,

Even if the wheel cylinder was locked to the backing plate the pressure
exerted by the one moving shoe would stop that side wheel.  After your
description I would suspect that you are not getting pressure.  Have a look
at the brake hose.  Is it soft and mushy?  If they are original they are
about due for replacement.  Check the fronts while you're at it.

Dave