Re: Question 87mm piston & liner sets

To: Gbouff1@aol.com
Subject: Re: Question 87mm piston & liner sets
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Fri, Mar 3 2000 12:21:05 GMT-0500
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net

>Has anyone had experience with these either of these products.  How accurate
>is the match between the piston skirt and the liner.  What clearance do they
>supply?  After installation, did you get any piston slap when the engine is
>cold?
>
>Any information that you can supply would be greatly appreciated.

Gary,

I can't help with the Moss and VB stuff because they had no stock when I tried
to use them last year... nor did TRF. AE brand or anything else.  Be sure to
verify that the majors really have stock to sell.

I found a 87mm piston/liner set from Bristh Parts Northwest (BPNW).  The price
is a attractive so I was concerned about quality.  The pistons are Mauhle from
Germany and the rings are Devis... I think that is the right name. The liners
were a direct fit and properly finished.

I asked my very picky machine shop guy to examine the parts and tell me whether
the qulaity was good.  He gave all the parts very high marks and, needless to
say... they are pumping away in my engine with great results.  2000 miles last
summer... but only the long haul will tell.  No hint of piston slap.

The only catch is you must gap the rings your self... no big deal... about an
hours light work.

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4 CT16260  Groton,MA
TR4 Website www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn/home.html