Re: Sycromesh Gearbox Question from a Non Mechanical Individual

To: VK0216@aol.com
Subject: Re: Sycromesh Gearbox Question from a Non Mechanical Individual
From: fogbro1 <fogbro1@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 21:12:23 -0500
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Two dumb questions and one comment:

1. What leads you to believe it's transmission oil?

2. Are you sure its dripping from the bell housing and not from some
other point?

One comment: Your wife probably objects to the "sulphur" odor of hypoid
gear oil; change to engine oil in the gearbox, 20W-50 works fine. My
wife always comments on the odor when I dismantle an old gearbox with
that stuff in it, but I've kept her around for 32 years just the same.
Wish my first TR3 had lasted as long.

Ed Woods