Remember the radial tire discussion? - answers from 1972

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Remember the radial tire discussion? - answers from 1972
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@home.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 13:02:24 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Hi all,

In my quest for full page TR ads for the naissant Spitfire "club",  I came
across the "R&T Bonus Feature,  Comparison Test:  Radial Tires For Your Car"

Here's the precis:

It begins by offering that the North American manufactures of cars and tires
have been late to adopt this technology  due to a "cushy ride syndrome" (my
words, but close).  Their objective was to illustrate the difference among 9
different tires,  including the Michelin XAS, often seen on our cars.

All tests were conducted on a 240Z, and were either 185/70 or 195/70 14.
This size is smack in between the spit and TR sizes, so it is a good
indication of what we "would have expected".   Tests included dry and wet
braking,  dry and wet 200 ft skidpad, and a slalom.

As now,  the Michelin topped the heap on a points score.  Cornered at .745G,
this compares with the worst, the Yokohama at .713G.  Midpack in the wet at
.615, the wet range was .625 (Continental) down to .574 (Yokohama).

The Pirelli slowed best in the dry at 138 ft from 60 mph, and the
Bridgestone faired worst at 151 ft.  In the wet,  the Continental won at 168
feet, compared to a dismal 226 ft for the Yokohama..

The Michelin won the slalom at 28.37 sec, against the Uniroyal at 29.78 sec.

For "ride and noise"  the Uniroyal was quietest and had the highest "ride"
score.  The Pirelli, well, sucked at both.

All the above said, the overall points went like this:

Michelin 477, Semperit 476,Continental 475, Pirelli 472, Dunlop 460,
Goodyear 458, Uniroyal 445, Bridgestone 441, Yokohama 419.

Interesting, yes?  Even back then, their final comments went like this:

"..in the end, it is the reader's decision which factors mean the most to
him, but the staff of R&T is inclined to lay the heaviest emphasis on
performance characteristics....".

How about prices back then?!?  The Michelin was most expensive at $72.46 and
an extra $6.44 for the tube (!!!).  The Yokohama was a flat $50.

Tires today are cheaper, even without inflation adjustment, and stick much
better.   0.745G ?!?  Remember this when you complain that the TR's and
Spitfires don't have enough power to slide around the corners.  On "the best
and most modern" tires of their day,  I bet they did !!!!

I hope this has been an interesting glimpse into the past when "bias ply"
was the standard and not just a concours-addict's Holy Grail  for a TRailer
Queen   :)

Dave T