RE: Assembly Lube, Manifold Cleaning, Gasket Removal

To: "The List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Assembly Lube, Manifold Cleaning, Gasket Removal
From: "Steve Nabors" <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 21:22:56 -0800
Assembly Lube:
Thanks for all who responded to my question on what to use for re-assembling
main/rod bearings. Most everyone recommended some specific type of assembly
paste/lube. Some recommneded engine oil. One recommended STP. The guy at the
parts store said he'd had several people say they use STP as an assembly lube
instead of oil or the "toothpaste tube" assembly lube as well. I decided to go
with the toothpaste.

Manifold Cleaning:
Last time I had the intake manifold off on the TR6 I first attacked it with
hand cleaner(orange stuff with the grit in it) and a toothbrush. This took care
of alot of the bulky stuff. Then I had a go at it with the carb cleaner and
brass brush. I got it close enough as there were still some slightly discolored
areas. I then got out the steel wool. MAN, you talk about putting a polish
shine on the aluminum. It looks great and took out the final discolored areas
as well. I then painted the water tube running on the bottom of the manifold a
matte black. I then got some high temp clear coat and sprayed the top and sides
of the manifold with it. I left the bottom mostly unsprayed as it will get alot
of heat from the exhaust manifold and would most likely get discolored from it.
2nd, nobody sees the bottom of the intake. 3rd, for heat disapation reasons I
wanted to leave the bottom unpainted. It still looks great with 3K miles on it.

Gasket Removal:
Heck, use engine oil to remove the gasket. It seems to have eaten right through
every gasket on my car.  ;-)
I was at the autoparts store today and they had some "Gasket Removal" by
Permatex so I got a can of it. I'm going to load it up on my oil pan gasket
tonight, let it sit overnight, and try taking it off tomorrow. I'll post my
result tomorrow. I'll try getting a little of the gasket(that seems stuck fast)
off tonight so I'll have a with gasket remover and w/o gasket remover for
comparison.