Re: Herald Questions

To: Tadd Clayton <t.clayton@auckland.ac.nz>
Subject: Re: Herald Questions
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:21:23 -0500 ()
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Triumph Herald Group <triumph_herald@eGroups.com>
On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Tadd Clayton wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> We're progressing with the dismantling of our 1963 Herald Coupé in
>preparation for a
> restoration and have nearly stripped the chassis.  I've got a couple of
>questions that I
> hope someone can help with.
>
> On cursory examination the chassis has suffered from some rust, generally in
>the outriggers,
> and some dents.  We are planning to check the chassis for any distortions as
>well.  We
> noticed that the outriggers are generally 'U' sections rather than box
>sections (apart from
> some reinforcing pieces near joints).  As long as we're doing some welding
>repairs on the
> chassis would it be worthwhile boxing in the U sections to provide extra
>rigidity?  When we
> were disassembling the car we found huge amounts of dirt, stones, etc in
>these U sections
> and boxing them in would also avoid that problem in the future as well.

I'm no engineer, but I suspect it would NOT add much stiffness. And it
might actually provide more area, less accessible, for dirt and moisture
to collect.

> My other question relates to the doors.  When stripping down one of the doors
>we noticed
> that the quarter light window is attached to the door with several fairly
>large chrome
> plated rivets.  Before I take the angle grinder to these rivets to finish
>dismantling the
> door, I thought I'd ask for the benefit of the experience of anyone who has
>done this job
> before.  Is there a best way to dismantle this part of the door?  Are the
>rivets easy to
> source and easy to replace when we want to reassemble the door?  Is there
>anything we should
> be aware of?

I'll defer here to others with actual experience there. I've not (yet)
tried to do anything with those rivets.

> Thanks for any help.
>
> Tadd
> 1963 Herald Coupé (in pieces scattered around the garage)

I've copied a Triumph-Herald-specific group on this response, as well as
the Triumphs list. Hope it brings a yet wider range of responses!

--Andy