Are Guage Gaskets Really Worth The Trouble?

To: <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Are Guage Gaskets Really Worth The Trouble?
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 23:19:01 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
Jeff McNeal wrote:

As I tear through the interior of my Triumph as part of my casual
restoration effort, I've decided to remove and clean all of the guages
thoroughly while I have my facia veneer panel sent out to be professionally
restored to its original English Walnut glory.
SNIP
As I was scraping all the crud out of the bezel recesses. I began to wonder
that given my conditions of driving this car both now and in the distant
future (i.e. no moisture or rain and low humidity), I'm wondering whether
replacing these gaskets is really be something I should concern myself with.
Is it? If so, where can I find replacement gaskets?  Thanks for your input!

Jeff
Notwithstanding your determination never to use the car in rain or humidity the
gaskets
will still prevent the ingress of dust. Never underestimate the pernicious
effects of dust
and how it can get into places where you don't want it. Can't tell you where
you'd get
replacement gaskets but a little time and care with some straight (and sharp)
nail
scissors and a flat piece of old inner tube cut from a bicycle tyre will
provide you with
a perfectly satisfactory and very low cost alternative. Much the same goes for
making
holes in trim boards where you need a clean cut and a perfect circle. If you
don't have a
proper punch, a piece of steel or copper tube the same diameter as the desired
hole and
filed to a sharp edge at one end makes a perfect alternative. Saves a wad of
money buying
the real thing.

Jonmac