Re: A-Type Overdrive Electricals

To: Michael Ferguson <fergie@ntplx.net>
Subject: Re: A-Type Overdrive Electricals
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 09:05:30 -0700
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net, DANMAS@aol.com
Michael,
Here's how the thing is supposed to be wired:

(there may be some bullet connectors in the paths that I am not calling
out)

Relay:
C1 - Connected to switched power so the circuit is only on when the
ignition is turned on.

C2 - Connected to the input of the solenoid.

W1 - Connected to a fused power source (typically the hot side of the
coil)

W2 - Connected to one of the switch terminals

Switch:
One terminal connected to Relay connection W2
The other terminal is connected to the input of the two gear switches
(what you call isolators).

Solenoid:
Input connected to Relay terminal C2
Other side connected to Ground

Gear selector switches:
These are connected in parallel (inputs wired together and outputs wired
together)
Input is connected to the Switch
Output is connected to ground.

Theory:
When the ignition is turned on the relay is energized if the following
conditions exist:

The switch is ON and either of the gear selector switches are closed.

The circuit is completed because the current flows from the power source
through the relay windings through the closed switch through one of the
gear selector switches to ground.  The energized windings of the relay
cause the contacts to close and cause the circuit that energizes the
solenoid to be completed.

I hope this helps,
Joe

--