Re: Motorcycle fork oil in lever shocks (was TR-3A - Rear shock absorbe

To: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>, John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Motorcycle fork oil in lever shocks (was TR-3A - Rear shock absorber fluid)
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:00:24 -0600
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Dave,
        You're a nice guy and I admire many of your tech tips, however (you knew
that was coming)...
I happen to be intimately involved with lever shocks. Changing the fluid
(f?) is not the same as altering the valves. Specifically because there are
poppet valves in the end of each piston through which oil must also pass.
This must be allowed to happen quite easily. The spring in the valve is
very weak, like 3 coils of a retractable pen spring operating on a ball
bearing. Stopping up this valve _can_ (not will) destroy the shock in
various ways, most typically by stripping the splines on the shaft.....
I've seen it lots of times. It is quite straight-forward to alter the
valving and I am happy to share that. It is also preferable to change the
rebound and compression at different ratios rather than merely stiffening
both by the same percentage as would occur when adding heavier oil. I will
also say that it is possible to make a leak free shock.
        End of dissertation. Thanks for listening.
Peter C
----