Dashpot Oil and peformance

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dashpot Oil and peformance
From: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 10:41:41 -0500 charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello Listers:
I am very interested in this issue of response with different weights of
oil. Following the thread on dashpot oils- Since '68 I've always used 3 in 1
oil in my Stromberg carbed TR4. I've always been conscientious about
checking dashpot oil level and rarely have ever found the level completely
'non-existant'-although I have found that diaphram condition would effect
the relative level.

When hesitation or sputtering occurred which, when studied, was NOT related
to choke setting when the engine was cold, I usually found replacing the
weakened diaphragms solved the problem.

 I also remember that the race tuned TR-4's specified NO OIL in the
dashpots.

Of course we are talking fine distinctions here, and saying that, If I am
interpreting the posts correctly so far, a heavier weight of oil (in warm
weather-lets say 80-100^ OAT), will give a better 'immediate' acceleration
when throttle is applied, but the lower weight oil will provide a 'smoother'
acceleration across the RPM range as one increases RPMs.  So if I was
planning to take the car for a 'rally' around country roads-I would choose
straight 40 WT to induce a 'spirited' response,  but if I were to be in and
out of 'stop and go', city, or an 'interstate' drive where smoothnesss and
minimal 'startling' experiences are expected, then 3 in 1, 20WT, marvel
mystery, ATF, or 10-30 would be more appropriate.

Sherman D. Taffel
TR4 CT50045L