Re: TR6 rear shocks: lever or tube?

Subject: Re: TR6 rear shocks: lever or tube?
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 07:41:41 -0800
Robert Carley wrote:

Could someone explain the benefit of converting a TR6 from lever arm
shocks to tube shocks at the rear?

My rear shocks are strong, and I have used slightly heavier oil in them.
There is no bounce in the rear of the car, nor is there any pronounced sag
on acceleration. i.e., if you push down on the rear of the car, the body
only slightly goes down, and then immmediately returns to normal.

I have heard people state that the tube shock conversion gives better
cornering, but is this in comparison to a TR6 that has poor lever shocks?

Is the conversion that much better than lever shocks in good shape?

I am looking at ways of making my 6 corner better.  If I don't have much
power (standard engine), at least I should have fun in the corners.

I have stock springs (excellent), all nylon\poly bushings front and rear,
spax shocks (non-adjustable) on front, stock front sway bar, and Pirelli
tires on KN minilite replica wheels.

>Also, would stiffer/lower springs help that much?

Robert:

I don't believe that it pays all that much to fit tube shocks to a
TR6.  If your levers are in good shape, and it sounds as if they are,
then I would focus on the other components first.  I suspect you'd
benefit ALOT from increasing the size of the front anti-roll bar
(sway bar) and from adding a rear anti-roll bar.  Don't get a big
front bar without getting a rear bar, though.  If that doesn't do it
for you, then think about getting competition springs.

Tires are a limiting factor, though.  What size are your Pirellis?
In my opinion, these cars look a little silly (unless it's in
full-race trim) with low-profile tires.  TR6's look good with the
right size tire, that is, a tire with a pretty tall sidewall.
205/70R15 are good for looks.  But tires with big sidewalls deflect
too much under hard cornering, and therefore are not great for
roadholding.  Still, the anti-roll bars will make a huge improvement
regardless, so go for it!

--
Pete & Aprille Chadwell
Dynamic Arts