Ever lost a wire wheel? At 65 mph?

Subject: Ever lost a wire wheel? At 65 mph?
From: "Tom Winslow" <tom_winslow@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 22:07:52 -0500charset="Windows-1252"
Reply-by: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 17:00:00 -0500
I have been unsubscribed from the list for a while but have decided that I
need to get back on the list . . . to gain some wisdom and maybe an answer.

Some of you have seem my 1965 Triumph TR4A IRS. If not, it can be seen at:
http://www.iredell.com/triumph.html

Last Tuesday I drove the TR to work. When I left around 4 PM I headed east
on I-40 toward Statesville, NC. The top was up and the windows down. As I
approached an exit, I headed a 'jingling' sound - as if something fell off
of the car. I went up the exit ramp and stopped. I shut the car off and got
out - made a complete inspection of the wheels. Nothing wrong?

Well, I got back into the car, headed down the entrance ramp on the other
side and back on to I-40. I entered the right lane at about 65 mph. After
about 100 ft, the right front wheel came off! I saw the wire wheel bounce
much higher than the car and go ahead of me down the right lane for about
150 yards where it hit the end of a guardrail, bounced high into the air and
came to rest.

In the mean time, I slid, ground, sparked to a stop in the grass on the
right side of the highway.

Now, how does the wire wheel 'knockoff' come loose? That is the only
explanation. Could it have split? Could it have backed off? I thought that I
saw it when I did my inspection - maybe not. Usually they are very difficult
to remove because they are TIGHT!

Anyone else ever had such a happening?

Anyway, my mechanic (International Auto, Statesville), waited until the
rollback could deliver my TR before leaving. It cost about $400 to get back
on the road. I am keeping the ground flat (on one side) break rotor as a
reminder. Next week the TR goes to the restoration shop to fix the minor
body damage.

Any ideas out there?

tw