Re: YOUR CARS

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: YOUR CARS
From: "Paul J. Burr" <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 00:22:27 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael D. Porter <mporter@zianet.com>
To: Jeff McNeal <jmcneal@ohms.com>; <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2000 10:34 PM

> Jeff McNeal wrote:
> >
> > Okay, I'll bite.  In order of appearance, they were/are:

OK, Me too- it's a cold night with nothing to do...

#1 A Simca 1000  yes! it was so ugly, my older brother gave it to me 'cause
he didn't  want to be seen in it!
Wait, you'll see that I have this thing for orphaned Chrysler imports!

#2 A '65 VW Beetle. Hey, it was the early '70's, you got one of these issued
to you if you lived in the suburbs back then!

#3 '63 Falcon Sprint convertible- my first ragtop! This car got me through
my last 3 years of college, and it even had heat in the winter. The car was
in fantastic condition, and I'm glad I cut all those classes to go for top
down trips to the beach! I'd love to get that car back.

#4 '67 Mustang coupe. A $250 beater that rotted out but ran like a fine
watch. These were the cars that earned the name "Rust tangs", which is a
shame because it never broke down- it even got me through the blizzard of
'78!

#5 '76 Pinto Light fuse- get away! OK, it was the days of $1.70 a gallon
gas! Besides, it was my "winter' car when I got into LBC's

#6 '67 Sunbeam Alpine- LBC numero uno! It was in super shape! ran nice too,
until the dizzy sawed itself in half while my brother was driving it. The
ensuing mechanical mayhem put a valve through a piston! I parked it, then
sold it because I was also involved with car #7....

#7 '67 Sunbeam Tiger. You could say I got addicted to these.... This one was
worn looking, but it  was damn quick!
Sold it after the local Maaco franchise painted it the wrong color! And not
a "nice" wrong color.

#8 '65 Sunbeam Tiger Yeah, got all kinds of remorseful with the departure of
Tiger #1. About a month after selling the first Tiger, this one presented it
self, and I couldn't resist. It was a 57,000 mile, BRG original with a
factory hard top. Still had the original Dunlop spare, tool kit, and Lucas
battery vent tube in the trunk! It also had the optional 3:17 posi rear end.
Paid $3000 for this gem!(it was 1980, afterall)  Every jerk kid in town with
a jacked up Camaro never new what wasted him!

#9 '82 Mustang GT. I got tired of wrenching every weekend, and with a bride
on the way decided it was time to move on.
Bought this one brand new! This was the car that put the "muscle" back into
American sporty cars. Later sold it to make the down payment on our first
house.

#10 '80 TR7 ragtop. Talked the soon to be Mrs. into replacing her lemon '79
Pontiac LeMans. The car(Poncho) would die in the middle of the road, and the
dealer would tow it back and never find a problem. It's saying something
when a Triumph is the far more reliable of 2 cars! It actually was a very
nice car-one of last one built, I think it used the Saab 99 engine block.
When Triumph went under, our insurance company wouldn't cover it, claiming
that the parts situation would make insurance costs to high in a accident!

#11 '66 Tiger. Hey, the insurance company had no problem these cars. Go
figure! I went nuts on this one.
visit:   http://users.ids.net/~tigerpb/tiger_pages/Page_1x.html to see how
this turned out.

#12 '66 Corvette Ragtop. Hey, it was my wife's turn. Got to say, I enjoyed
this one too! The arrival of #1 son sent this toy packing.

#13  The everyday cars....2 '84 Vw GTI's- damn fine cars, utterly refuse to
die, I sold the last one to a local guy with over 200K on the original
motor, and he still drives it to work everyday!
'88 F150, my cowboy Cadillac! Had to sell it do to the arrival of #2
daughter-couldn't bolt her baby seat out back to the pickup bed.
'91 Mustang GT -the fastest car I've ever owned, hopped up with Flowmasters,
underdrive pulleys, etc....It was kinda nice to walk out into to the garage
and have to choose between the Tiger and the GT! Ahh, 16 cylinders, which 8
to use today?
This car gave way to a too long winter commute and the ever increasing leg
size of my 2 kids. A '95 Jetta and a Chevy (hang head in shame...) station
wagon fill the day to day needs. Oh yeah, when I leave at least one of the
kids home, it TR6 time!