RE: TR6 used to have OD!

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 used to have OD!
From: "Randall Young" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:45:04 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
> From: Steve Skolnik
>
> Believe I have finally figured out why my '75 TR6 has the OD
> switch and why
> the speedometer reads so high.  The commission number has the
> requisite 'O'
> suffix, and I found an old repair receipt from the DPO that
> says in part
> 'check overdrive not working' -- could it be that the repair
> shop stole her
> OD tranny and swapped it for a standard one?

Certainly a possibility.  Did you look under the car for the presence of the
OD ?

> I find no shop
> ticket or other
> paper indicating a tranny rebuild, purchase, or anything of
> the sort.  The
> tranny (which works fine, by the way) is painted blue -- does
> this make it a
> rebuilt?

Most likely, since AFAIK the factory never painted them blue.

> Is there a way to change the speedo gear or otherwise change
> the speedometer
> calibration?

My guess would be that you have an early tranny,  with the 2.5 ratio speedo
drive gear, which needs a speedo calibration around 1120, but have the
'correct' speedo for your car, with a calibration of 1000.

I'm not certain, but I believe you can simply replace your speedo drive gear
with the later unit (Moss P/N 848-045 $7.40).  Another alternative would be
to find a speedo with the earlier 1120 calibration.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver