electric fan conversion TR4

To: <davelee1@home.com>
Subject: electric fan conversion TR4
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 08:25:55 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
>I removed my radiator and mechanical fan today.  I never realized the fan
>hub and bolt held everything on to the crankshaft.  I am interested in
>getting a replacmenent piece fabricated that doesnt extend outwards that
can
>accept a much shorter bolt to crankshaft so I can make my fan a puller.
>This seems like a real simple fab but I have no machinery.  Would I be able
>to go to any machine shop and ask them to do this or are there specialty
>shops that I should go to?

David,

Yes,  I had the machine shop that did my engine work fabricate a piece to
replace the long hub/nose piece.  Shed a few pounds in the process too.  I
had them fully thread the existing bolt and I cut it to size during my
engine assembly, so if I get around to it, I can lengthen my starter crank
and still use it, b passing it through the electric fan blades.  By having
the shop fabricate a new piece, you retain the old hub/nose piece, should
you ever decide to return to a mechanical fan (Concourse??)

Regards,

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A
1974 Norton 850 Commando