Re: questions on motor/transmission cart

Subject: Re: questions on motor/transmission cart
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 13:14:26 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Dan Buettner wrote:

> I'm thinking of building a small rolling cart out of some scrap
> lumber so that I can set my TR3 engine/transmission unit on it for
> the next several months.
>
> Three questions arise, and I seek the list's input:
>
> 1) Will I ruin the oil pan by having all that weight on it for a while?

Doesn't seem to have hurt mine.  Of course, it was already not in
perfect condition, but sitting on the floor doesn't seem to have hurt it
in any way except scraping the paint a little.

> 2) Should I separate the transmission and stash it under my workbench
> (less weight on cart)?

ISTR with the trans attached, the engine tips to the rear easily.  To my
mind, the best approach would be a cart that supports both the engine
and transmission, by the mounts.  You might actually have to invest in
some lumber to build it, but 8' 2x4s are usually pretty cheap.  7' ones
are even cheaper, if you can find some surplus somewhere.  Look for the
surplus outlet for a 'manufactured homes' maker.

> 2) I bought 4 175 lb-rated casters.  That's 700 lbs capacity, total.
> Will this be enough, or should I get two more for a total of 6
> casters and 1,050 lbs capacity?

Sounds like plenty to me, depending on how rough your floor is.  IMO if
the floor is really rough, more casters will make it easier to move.

Randall