Re: A-Type OD Questions

To: sanborn@net1plus.com
Subject: Re: A-Type OD Questions
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 23:06:37 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 1/15/00 7:20:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sanborn@net1plus.com writes:

<< The gearbox has no serial number on it anywhere... and the A-type
 OD plate says it is a 22/1374/017056.  According to the Moss
 catalog this was not a TR2-TR4 unit.  The 22/1374 is the model
 and the 017056 is the serial number.  Moss says the model number
 should be 22/61374, 22/61712 or 22/61753.  It looks like the TR4
 OD and gearbox in every detail. I measured the mount holes and
 all that.  Haven't opened it up to check for synchro in 1st.  I
 only paid $150 for it... so it was bought on the speculation that
 I could use it.

Brian
I just looked at an OD unit that came out of a TR4, and it also says 22/1374.
I don't think you will have any problems with this OD.

 It also does not have the top cover drilled for the little
 switches and instead has the solenoid wire through some roller
 micro switches attached to a bracket that looks like it mounts to
 a steering column or something.  I could not find the standard
 column switch in the parts boxes in the time I had available
 today

I don't know what all that wiring is from either, but it doesn't really
matter. You don't use any of it anyway. You could probably find a used OD top
cover, or you can drill and tap the holes. Details in the Bentley manual.
You'll need the column OD switch, the OD relay, and at least one isolator
switch. I think you can buy the OD wire harness from the big 3.
If you don't have a Bentley, let me know and I'll scan it for you.
Michael Ferguson can give you details on testing the thing out before you
install the tranny in your car.
Don't you wish you had done this when you had your car all apart? ;-)
Congrats on the find.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B