Re: Fuel sender fix

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel sender fix
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 16:50:14 -0500
>Tim, I think I would have set it to read EMPTY when the tank is EMPTY.
>
>When the tank is near full, you know it because you recently filled it.
>But when you have been driving for a while it is nice to know whether
>you need to stop for gas NOW or just whenever convenient.
>
>-Tony
>ARhodes@compuserve.com

Tony,

True enough, and that is part of the reason I drove the car for
12 years without even fiddling with the guage.  However, when you
know that EMPTY doesn't really mean empty, you tend to ignore your
fuel guage.  I would just make rough guesses as to my need for a
fill-up based on mileage since the last fill-up.  But, having said
that, I am still a little worried that I've made it more likely that
I'll strand myself somewhere with no gas.  I know that when the float
arm is fully down (outside the tank), the guage reads empty, but the
big question is, "What will it read when the unit is inside the tank
and the tank is nearly empty?"  I hope it doesn't say something like
1/4 full!  I should know in a couple of weeks.  My daily commute is
only about 4.5 miles, and I usually don't even drive the Spit when it
rains as it did yesterday, so this might take awhile.

Today in upstate South Carolina it is sunny and about 70 degrees.  Too
bad I put the hardtop on the Spit.  GOOD THING I BOUGHT THAT TR6 LAST
YEAR!!!  I think I'll have to take a little drive before it gets dark!

Tim Gaines
Clinton, SC
1980 Spitfire
1974 TR6