Re: J Type OD Compatibility

To: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Subject: Re: J Type OD Compatibility
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 14:50:34 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Listers,
>
>Sorry, I know this question was recently discussed.... but it so
>damn confusing.
>
>There is a J-Type OD from a 76 TR6 for sale in my local area and my
>question is....Can this be installed in a TR4.
>
>My engine, flywheel, clutch and gearbox are all late TR4A vintage.
>
>Here at work... I can't seem to locate the URL of the archive site.
>Thanks for your patience
>

>Brian Sanborn
>'62 TR4 CT16260  Groton,MA
>TR4 Website www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn/home.html

The conclusion I drew from the recent discussion was that putting a
J-type OD transmission from a late TR6 into my TR3 is theoretically
possible, but not easy -- would have to make a custom motor mount
plate (easy), and also possibly grind down frame and possibly modify
tunnel cover.  I'm not willing to do those last two, so I'm still
holding out for an A-type transmission I can afford.

Given the similarities between TR3s and TR4s, I'm guessing you'll
find the same to be true.

I cannot, however, guarantee that the above is 100% accurate, as I
have never seen a TR6 J-type transmission in person, or done any
measuring to see if it would in fact fit into my 3.

Dan