Re: Brake drums

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake drums
From: J&E <ebk@buffnet.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 07:41:14 -0500
Taken from 1-10-00 TR Digest List
>Hi Karl,
I'm copying this to the list as it may be unclear for others as well.

If the center bore was mis-matched, and so were the wheel stud holes, it
would be
humanly impossible to properly center the drum upon reinstalling the
wheel.  As you
say, even slight error would result in pedal pulsation, if not brake
overheating from
continually dragging for part of each rotation.

Actually, the center bore that fits over the axle nut is the same for
both drums, and
there is no problem with drums locating on center for either
combination.  The
difference is in the shank of the wheel stud.  While both cars take the
same 7/16 - 20
lug/stud, the shank on the solid axle cars is stepped to about 9/16 at
the hub and the
holes in the drum for the studs are correspondingly larger.  With that
in mind, if you
were to install a TR-4 drum onto a TR-6, the drum would locate properly
on the hub's
center, but you'd have axial shift about the extra clearance in the stud
holes.  In
this situation, the only positive location for the drum would be the
retaining
screws.  True, friction between the drum, hub, and wheel would and
should probably
keep it from shifting.  But if it doesn't, the drum may slip, especially
in a panic
stop the forces involved are quite high.  If the drum does slip, all the
panic-braking
force would be transmitted throught the locating screws and the they
might shear under
such stresses.  This could result in potential damage to the drum or
hub.

Of course, you could run the combo without the screws, and just allow
the drum to
shift on the clearance around the stud holes, but I sure wouldn't want
to take any
chances like that with my brakes. Regards,  -Brian Schlorff <
Hi List!
        Question: Why can't some type of "pipe or tubing" be installed as a
"sleeve" to take up the space between the wheel stud & drum hole for the
wheel stud. Thus being a "bushing" of some type? Also, if this was to be
done would Stainless Steal be an accpetable material? If not, then what
material would be accpetable? Wouldn't I be a good idea to coat the
inside & outside of this material with an anti-seize grease coating for
easy removial of the drum? -Cosmo Kramer