Re: TR-3 Replacement Floor Panels

To: bbrewer@lightspeed.net, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR-3 Replacement Floor Panels
From: Gbouff1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 07:11:22 EST
Bill,
The methot that I used when re placing my floor panels was as follows.

1.  Cut out old panel leaving a 1/2 lip, I fell that this lip adds support
and aids in keeping things in position.  I used a air powered cut off tool
purchased from Harbor Freight for about $25.00 including 10 cutoff wheels.
Only cut out and replace one panel at a time, this will keep the body square.
 Make sure to remove any rotted sections totally and grind off old spot welds.

2.  Dry fit the panel, and make any modifications necessary for fit.

3.  Drill  a 1/8 to 3/16 hole every 2 inches on the lip of the replacement
handle.  Thes holes will replace the spot welds.

4.  Grind or sand off all paint around any surfaces to be welded.

5.  I didn't realize that it was available until after I had done all my
welding, but there are primers available to apply to areas that will be
welded and not exposed for further priming.   Someone on the list  may have
experience with these to advise you further.

6.  Fit panel in and plug weld all holes that you drilled.  If you have
access to a spot welder, you can eliminate most of the  plug hole drilling
and just use the spot welder.
You will have to clamp the panels tightly to the body in the areas that are
welded.  There should be know space between the panel and body.

7.  When finished with the first panel, repeat the steps on the second panel.

Good luck, let use know how you make out.

Gary Bouffard
59TR3A