TR6/75 Exhaust Emissions Failure

To: <dms@snip.net>
Subject: TR6/75 Exhaust Emissions Failure
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:10:24 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
> I failed the New Jersey exhaust emissions test twice. Though I passed the
> two main emissions test, they told me I'm reading 1200 Hydrocarbons, when
> it should be 500 to pass.

I can't add anything to the post Brian Schlorff sent, but don't forget, in
NJ, if you fail, you can go out the parking lot, lean out the jets in your
SU's or ZS' by a flat or two, and get an immediate retest.  Also, if you may
benefit by running the engine over 3,000 rpm for a minute or two, to "clean
it out" right before the test.  This falls into the ignition category;
cleaning up the spark plugs.  I always get my '3 good and hot with a 45
minute highway run before the test too.  This also serves to insure the
combustion chambers and spark plugs are pretty clean.

If you do lean it out, make sure the right setting is achieved or return it
to the old setting to avoid running lean.

BTW - I scored a 1,600 on the HC scale last year.  The carbs were out and I
knew it, but I didn't realize they were as bad as it was.  I spent five
minutes (in the emissions station parking lot) leaning it out two flats and
then retested immediately to 400 ppmv (1960 TR3A).  I enriched it back one
flat after the test (also in the parking lot) and am happy with the results.
If your TR6 engine is in decent shape it should be able to achieve 400
without any difficulty.

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A
1974 Norton 850 Commando