RE: Spit Oil Pan Question

To: Day.John@fin.gc.ca
Subject: RE: Spit Oil Pan Question
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 10:34:02 -0400 ()
Cc: Chip19474@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 Day.John@fin.gc.ca wrote:

> Hi, Chip. Although not the greatest situation, I believe this is a function
> of the canister oil filter system on Triumphs. I believe the Spitfire set-up
> is the same for the TR6...

No, the two engines have very different styles of filter setups. Strange,
since the TR6 engine is derived from that same four-cylinder "SC" engine
family. Yet all the four-cylinder "SC" engines from 803cc up to 1493cc all
had some type of spin-on oil filter, the six-cylinder versions reverted to
the cannister-style filter.

However, this is still a possibility in that whatever filter you are
currently using (Chip) does not have provision for "anti-drain-back". At
the same time, your theory about the bent oil pan and/or oil pickup
situation might hold merit, or your "big-end" bearings could be worn as
well.

A good used oil pan shouldn't be too difficult to locate, should that turn
out to be the problem; I might even have one.

--Andy