Re: TR3A Noise in rear-end...FOUND IT!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3A Noise in rear-end...FOUND IT!
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:35:09 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, RANDALL ADAMS wrote to Andrew Mace:

> 2) An item in the exact center of the rear-end called a "button" is split in
> half.  I dont know when it happened, how it happened or even if it may have
> happened before i bought the car.  It's not falling out and it seems to be
> doing it's job still....hum...Go Figure!
>
> NOW I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION..... Is the "Button" a load bearing item that
> should be replaced NOW, or can it be driven normally without concern?

It should be replaced.

The "button" is a thrust block that controls inward movement of the axle
shafts.  Outward movement is controlled by the tapered roller hub
bearings.  Shim packs behind the hub bearing retainers are adjusted to
give .004 - .006 end float.  The shim packs on both sides should be the
same thickness, to keep the trust block centered.

If your thrust block is split, there's a high probability that it no
longer controls axle movement correctly.  If so, your rear wheel bearings
are probably running too loose and will suffer shortened life as a
consequence.

--

Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland     1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO  CT3479E