From Model T's to LBCs - my car Bio

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: From Model T's to LBCs - my car Bio
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:55:57 -0700
I was born and raised in the dairy and cheese state of Wisconsin.  I became a
motorhead at the tender age of 12, when I fell instantly in love with a Model T
Ford Centerdoor sedan that was proudly owned by my father's boss.  It would be
another 37 years before I finally got my hands on a restored 1922 Model T
Centerdoor but I'm getting ahead of myself.

By junior high I was enthralled by the local hot rod scene.  Dreams of a 283
Chevvy powered Ford coupe raced in my brain.  My first attempt was pushing a
1955 Olds V8 into a 1949 Ford coupe.  It worked but was a cobble job that ended
up in the junk yard.  I was more successful on my second attempt.  Again an Olds
V8 but this time into a 1939 Pontiac 2-door sedan.  Good job. (So much for the
Chevvy powered Ford)  The Pontiac served me well through two years of college
but was sold by parents one day for a measly $100.00 (Market value $2000.00)
How does this lead to LBC's.  Read on...

Being a new college grad, working for Bell Laboratories in Illinois, I needed
some type of transportation.  Modern 'mericun iron did not appeal to me at all.
My new roommate had a thing for white MGs with red interiors, so at his behest I
went to the local MG dealer.  Test drove a 1967 MGB:  Old English White/red
leather interior.  Two minutes into the drive I WAS SOLD or the car was I should
say!   Drove that car everywhere for years with no problems.  New bride and I
drove from Chicago to Key West to Denver where we settled.  Too much camping
gear caused us to sell the B and get a VW van instead.  But the LBC light burned
bright in my heart.  Three years later we decided to get our first new car - an
LBC obviously!  But should we go with another B or something else.  The choice
became obvious when a friend let me drive his TR6.  Prior to this, I had for
some unknown reason a disliking of the TR6.  As I fired up his 6, I knew I was
really going to fall in love with this car.  I did, sure enough.  Two months
later, we took delivery of a brand new, Mimosa TR6.  From that moment on I was a
TR man!

I lost that TR6 due to massive increases in insurance after a bad accident.
(Lost the wife somewhere in there, too).  Since then I've had beat up TR3 that
lasted one summer and 2 other TR6s that have been lost, one to buy a house and
the other through getting divorced again.  Wives, girl friends come and go but
the love of the TR never leaves!!!

Between TRs I picked up a Model T touring and a 40 Ford hot rod coupe in which I
installed a Jag suspension.  Drove like a dream!!!  (Lost T in second divorce;
sold 40 to finance my next project - another LBC (see below)!!!!)

Being a computer analyst has opened opportunities for me to work abroad.  I've
spent a year in England, two in Australia and one in Saudi Arabia.  Always on
the lookout for any vintage cars.  Finding a TR6 in England was fruitless, Saudi
forget it - though there are a lot of motorheads working at Aramco.  Now if you
want to see motorheads go to Australia!!  Aussies love their cars.  Not little 4
cylinder jobs but big V8s!!!  While in Australia I managed to get my hands on
the cars of my dreams: a 1970 PI TR6 and the 1922 Model T Centerdoor!

The TR was a basket case/part cars but I just couldn't pass up the chance to do
a frame-off restoration on a fuel injected TR6!  All the past auto restoration
experience bore fruit when working on the TR6.  It was a labor of love, to be
sure but I was smiling all the time!  I did all the work myself except for
machining the engine and reupholstering the seats (which was done by my local
LBC mechanic) and rebuilding the PI system which was done by TR Workshop in
Cirencester, England.

Just an aside here on the value of networking.  While in Australia, I was a
member of the local Model T club.  It was one of these guys who knew someone
that had an interest in sport cars that led to finding the TR6.  Likewise when
looking for someone to rebuild the PI system, a mate of mine in England who is a
fellow member of the Model T club there, knew someone who was into sports cars
that led me to find the TR Workshop.  It's amazing how interconnected is the
auto hobby.

Now, my hot rodding days are history.  My car stable consists of the two loves
of my life.  I now cruise the roads of Southern California in my Home Market TR6
having the time of my life....  Of course, the Model T Ford is a real kick to
drive, too.

Happy motoring,

David Stauffacher
San Diego, California