Re: Is MIG safe for suspension mount

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Is MIG safe for suspension mount
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 08:44:37 -0400

Depends entirely on the quality of the weld.  If you look at the frame under
most any current pickup or SUV you will notice that the frames including the
brackets are MIG welded.   An easy way to identify a MIG weld is by the splatter
near the weld.   I would consider using a MIG assuming that the MIG is capable
of generating a weld that penetrates deep enough into the metal being welded
(want to avoid a cold weld).  Suggest lap welding some scrap steel that has
about the same thickness to determine if your welder has the capability to weld
that stock thickness.  Cleanliness of the metal to be welded will have a
tremendous effect on the resultant weld.   BTW I am not trained as a welder, I
am a self taught welder with  MIG, arc and torches who has learned a lot the
hard way.