Poor Running from My TR-4 - Advice, please

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Poor Running from My TR-4 - Advice, please
From: Mark Clark <clarkm@oit.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 12:23:05 -0700
Okay, here are the symptoms:

The car ran well last summer.  No engine work over the winter.  It has been
running poorly this summer.

Engine starts with no problem.  Idle is reasonably smooth.  When driving,
it feels like the engine goes down on power (hesitates) every so often - as
if it was not getting enough fule intermitantly.  It does not stall.  The
hesitation comes on both acceleration, steady cruising, and when I take my
foot off the gas.  The hesitation is random, and occurs fairly often - no
more than twenty-thirty seconds go by between hesitations, and they
normally come more often.  Pulling out the choke makes no difference.

Here is what I have done:
-checked valve adjustment and compression - both fine
-gapped plugs
-checked and tightened all ignition leads and connections to the coil and
distributors
-replaced points with electronic ignition - no change in symptoms
-adjusted carb float levels
-carbs were rebushed several years ago - no air leaks
-mixture needles were replaced last year and the car ran fine after that.
-carbs adjusted and syncronized with Unisyn and the clear spark plug jobbie
I can't remember the name of
-checked timing
-got a new tank of gas and added gas additive to dry and clean gas
-replaced fuel filter

I suspect an electrical problem.  Distributor cap, rotor, plugs, and plug
wires have all been replaced in the last several thousand miles.  The only
electrical device that has not been replaced is the coil, a Lucas
high-voltage unit.

1) Could it be the coil?  Can I do any tests to see?

2) Anything else I should check?

Thanks much - look forward to your reply.

Dr. Mark Clark
Oregon Institute of Technology