Re: * Distributer Connections *

To: Wayne Brazinski <wbrazinski@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: * Distributer Connections *
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 22:15:10 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Wayne :

The only thing that could cause the "smoke to come out" would be if you
accidently connected both wires to the same coil terminal, or your new
coil is internally shorted.  Possibly the wire inside the cap was
defective to begin with.  All that happens with the coil connected
backwards is that the engine doesn't run quite as good (and the
difference is somewhat hard to detect).

Note that the wire from the dist cap to the points is a special 'super
flexible' type of wire, since the vacuum advance forces it to flex every
time you open the throttle.  (I think the term was 'Litz' wire, but
that's probably wrong. It resembles copper plated string.)

The '+' and '-' markings on the coil refer to battery voltage, so the
correct connection depends on whether your car is positive or negative
ground.  For positive ground, the '+' terminal goes to the points.  For
negative ground, the '-' terminal goes to the points.  In either case,
the other terminal goes to the wiring harness (and eventually to the
ignition switch and battery).

Connecting a voltmeter (or test lamp, if thats all you have) from the
points side of the coil to ground can tell you a lot about whether
everything is OK with the points.  Turn the engine until the points
close, turn on the ignition, check the voltage from the points side of
the coil to ground.  It should be under 1 volt (test lamp should not
light).  The hot side should measure either 11-12 volts (no ballast
resistor) or 6-9 volts (ballast present).  Now turn the engine until the
points open.  From either side of the coil to ground should be 11-12
volts (lamp lights brightly).

BTW, did you know there's a searchable archive for the entire list ?
It's at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=triumphs

Randall
59 TR3A